What makes a t-shirt “offensive”?
JWC (James Wagner Cultivation) t-shirt vs Rogers Centre
When you go out in public do you think about the message written on your t-shirt? Neither do I or did I that one particular evening in 2018 while attempting to enjoy a Blue Jays game. (I can’t even recall who they were playing as I was so outraged and disapointed) It was September 2018 as I and a friend were entering the Rogers Centre through the security check point when I was asked, politely at first mind you, to flip my t-shirt JWC inside out as the image on the front & was “offensive and against our policy” I was told. When I refused to do so they then refused to grant me entry to the game, insinuated that I had cannabis on me, and began getting visably and audibly irritated to the point where they told me “go over there and talk to the police officer about it” So I did just that…..
5 things you can do to prevent this from happening to you….
- Educate yourself on your rights wherever you are in the world
- Develop and maintain good or better communication skills
- Maintain your working knowledge of the politics going on around you
- Always, always and always remain polite, professional and remain calm
- READ THIS!
Do you know your legal rights?
What do you do when you feel discriminated against?
As I approach the Toronto Police Officer it comes to my attentions she had no idea of what had just happened a few moments prior so I then (politely) bring her up to speed all while the Rogers Centre staff are still attempting to communicate at me through the sea of people. Once she was brought up to speed she simply said “look, flip it inside out as they asked and walk in then flip it back for all I care…” I was floored, I had just told her that I felt discriminated against and that she needed to attend the area to clarify; she refused; what did I refer to next? READ THIS!
5 things medical conditions cannabis can help you with….
- IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrom)
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Chrones disease
- Appetite disorders
- Various mental health issues such as anxiety, stress, and depression disorders
Where do we go from here?
Legalization (2019) helped but what else did it do?…
So as I stand at the gates of the Rogers Centre confused, helpless, and wanting to scream at the absolute top of my lungs to be honest. I was just made to feel guilty of carrying (what at that time would have been illegal for me to do) an illegal substance all becasue of the t-shirt I was wearing and was made to feel lesser of a person in front of an uncountable amount of people; what choice did I have in the matter? None, I did what like the most of us would do and conceded to their request and flipped the t-shirt inside out subsequently being granted entry. Once in the building and eye shot away from the security staff I flipped the t-shirt back and made my way to my seat not being bothered any further. If I recall correctly the Blue Jays lost the game but more importantly I lost my respect, trust, and loyality for the Rogers Communications organization as a whole.
5 tips to make sure your first time isn’t a “bad trip”….
- Ensure you are with people you trust and who have experience with cannabis
- Ensure you aren’t driving or operating heavy equipment for approx 24-36 hours
- Ensure you aren’t responsible for a family member or loved one’s well-being
- Ensure you trust the source of the cannabis
- Ensure you have a bag of your favorite chips, crackers or whatever snack you like